A pinch of

09:24
0

“Alma CabaÒa” translated means “For the Love of Cuba”. The phrase is especially fitting for Vick Lavender’s bio – not only because of the elements of African and Latin culture that shine through his music being inspired by his father’s Cuban heritage – but also as jazz fusion & US soul music have been a constant influences in his life.


As a DJ and producer, Vick has been a global music aficionado for over 20 years and continues to elevate the genre of house music by creating unique rhythms and world beats representing jazz/soul fusion as well as Afro-Cuban rhythms.
His mastery of this unique sound gives his music the ability to call to our ancestral spirit and permeate the soul of its listener. Before co-founding the internationally known production team and live band Mr. A.L.I. (African Latin Influences), he gained unprecedented notoriety as a member of house music keynote Glenn Underground’s Strictly Jazz Unit.

Credited with writing some of house music’s classic singles including Sun’s “Father’s Little Girl” and “Medone’s Thoughts”†from the Future Parables album.
Another of his creations, “Wish”, was featured on The Nightlife Collective Vol. 1 compilation.

Currently Vick runs his own digital label , Sophosticado which is responsible for some of the most innovative deep house recordings to come out in recent memory. With records such as the jazz/soul fusion based track "First Kiss" and deep house anthem “Respect Our Love” both featuring Carla Prather, as well as the live recording of the “Modern Jazz EP”, Vick Lavender and his label continues to push the boundaries of the sound dubbed “deep house”. Vick Lavender's distinctive sound has also landed his music in a popular television commercial.

 Interviewing Vick Lavender 


1).How did it all begin? 
It all began for me in 1984 that's when i got my first set of turntables, & a few years after that I brought my first keyboard...I think it was a Kwai K 4.

2).What artists influenced you growing up?
Well let's just say I had a very musical childhood, artists like Earth Wind & Fire were probably one the artist who's music I fell in love with first, but as I got older and discovered more music and artists that really fascinated me, Joe Sample, Quincy Jones, Johnny Hammond, Pat Metheny, Sting, Larry Heard, Joe Clausell just to name a few.

3).What are some of your favorite places to perform?
South Africa, Toronto, & Atlanta are amazing places to play. Greece, I have heard so much good stuff about, I would definitely love to perform there. 

4).What would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
I'd like to think of myself as being a very diverse lover of music.
If you checked my ipod right now you might find The Police, Mos Def, EOL, The Smiths, Pat Metheny, Weather Report, Erykah Badu, Joe Sample and of course many more.

5). If I weren't talking to you right now I'd be... 
That's pretty easy probably working on new material.

6).A phrase I use far too often is... 
He or she is a hater...lol

7) I wish people would take more notice of... 
I wish more people would take a lil bit more notice to serious soulful house music,& when I say that I  mean not just your typical four on the floor house, there are some many different forms of soulful house music but most people will play or listen to this genre of house music they deem as safe.
Looking at the landscape of soulful house it seems that if there's a vocalist singing really loud and aggressive over a four on the floor track it's categorized as soulful house, but if the producer deviates from that particular formula people have a hard time with it and eventually will end up putting it in some sort of box. In most cases that's not good for the producer or artist.  In short , alot of soulful house music in my humble opinion lacks imagination.

8.The most surprising thing that happened to me was... 

The amount of love i got once I landed in South Africa,the way they embraced the art of music really blew me away.

9.A common misperception of me is... 
I'm a musical snob...lol

10.I am not a politician but...
I am not a politician but... we as a race of people should be able to erase racism, poverty, & war.

11. I am very good at.... 
Playing and producing soulful music.

12. I am very  bad at..
Listening to idiots.

13. The best age to be 
46, mine.. 

14. In a nutshell, my philosophy is this: 
I personally don't think i'm smart enough to have a philosophy i'll leave that to the smart guys,but seriously...do what you love and love what you do, & respect other people and their likes and dislikes
15. Some of my hobbies are: 
Watching documentaries, reading,  smoking cigars and drinking fine whiskey.. 

His record “Vaporizer” featuring Peter Jericho was instrumental in the successful Chrysler Jeep Wrangler advertisement. 
You can find Sophisticado recordings at Traxsource. 

 Vick continues to be one of the most sought after DJ’s on the house music circuit, having made guest performances in South Africa, London, Toronto and NYC’s Club Love. Currently, Vick is staying extremely busy by launching Sophisticado vinyl which is currently being distributed by Joe Claussell’s Sacred Rhythm Music. Releases such as “The L.O.V.E Song” featuring Peter Jericho, Deep Xcape’sAfter da Rain” , The real thing feat RJ Green and “Change” by Monodeluxe featuring Jaidene Veda have been internationally well received. Coming soon to Sophisticado Recordings vinyl the full length LP titled “Architect” produced by Vick Lavender.

http://traxsource.com/title/297958/vick-lavender-sophisticado-march-2014-top-ten

Vick's fave top ten of all times..

( In no particular order ) 

1.Fragile ( Sting )
2.So may we secretly begin ( Pat Metheny )
3.Harmony ( Joe Clausell )
4.Sweet n Sour ( The Crusaders )
5.Star born ( Johnny Hammond )
6.There is a light that never goes out ( The Smiths )
7.Something special ( Quincy Jones )
8.Fly ( Groove Collective )
9.I can't help it ( Michael Jackson )
10.Jesus children ( Robert Glasper )


http://www.traxsource.com/artist/4665/vick-lavender 
https://soundcloud.com/victorlavender/sophisticado-recordings 
https://twitter.com/sophisticado 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sophisticado-Recordings-The-Offical-Fan-Page/231673431985?fref=ts



 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Attention

Unless otherwise specified, some photos posted in here do not belong to A Pinch of Soul and Style. If you own copyright to an image on this blog and would like recognition or removal, please contact us!